In December 1942, a hand-operated gun was added behind each side of the nose enclosure, with another at the bottom. The B-24D-25-CO now had ten .50-caliber guns with 4,800 rounds and 901 pounds of armor and bullet-proof glass to protect crewmen. Bomb capacity was up to eight 1,130-pound bombs, but the B-24D-25-CO, B-24D-10-CF, and later models could accommodate eight 1,600-pound bombs. Under wing racks for two 4,000-pound bombs were tested, but proved unsuitable.
The B-24D-25-COís weight had reached 34,985 pounds empty and 56,000 pounds gross before the end of 1942, and top speed was given as 303 mph. In 1943, the R-1830-65, with a new carburetor, was installed, beginning with the B-24D-135-CO, but the -43 engine continued to be used in some later aircraft for production reasons. Beginning with a B-24D-140-CO, the last 293 B-24Ds had a Sperry ball turret like that of the B-17, but made retractable by Briggs to clear the ground. Deliveries were completed July 22, 1943, with the B-24D-170 version, weighing 35,345 pounds empty.
Consolidated built 2,415 B-24D-CO bombers at San Diego, and shipped eight KD sets to Fort Worth, which completed them from April 30 to July 10, 1942, followed by kits for the first 44 C-87 transports, whose delivery began September 14, 1942. Fort Worth added 295 B-24D-1-CF to D-20-CF models from December 17, 1942, to September 10, 1943. Ten more B-24D KD sets were sent to Tulsa in 1942, to give Douglas Liberator experience while waiting for B-24E sets from Ford.
Fordís B-24E was produced to the same specification as the B-24D, but reflected the auto builderís own practices. Willow Run did fly a B-24E assembled from San Diego parts on May 19, 1942, but acceptances on the remaining 490 B-24E-1-FO to B-24E-25-FO Liberators began on September 30, about four months late. B-24E KD kits were shipped to Tulsa and Fort Worth for completion in 1943. North Americanís first 25 B-24G-NTs (March/ October 1943) were like late B-24Ds, but for the A-5 autopilot and Sperry S-1 bombsight used by the B-24E.